So, my ongoing lockdown projects.
I was looking at sorting out my IndieWeb credentials – a little progress there with h-card and linking sites together; although I’m still being a bit lazy about making my content here and sending it elsewhere (see POSSE).

Jekyll and Hugo?
Wow.
Nowehere. I think some of my problems were I got an updated site on GitHub Pages, but was managing it with GitHub Desktop.
I suspect I’d be better doing it with raw git. So, more to do!

As a break from that I decided to tackle a couple of other little projects; like a lot of people I have the odd Raspberry Pi lying about – three of them, in fact.
So…

I now have

  • a working adblocker (a pi-hole) which also handles my DHCP and coincidentally shoves every DNS query over HTTPS for the whole network
  • a working media centre which plays anything I throw at it from my recently repaired NAS, which is done with OSMC [and it streams Freeview TV to every PC in the house by using a pi TV HAT]
  • and finally, a working torrent box. Mostly done with this wiztime article.

For my own future reference – remember that SAMBA is started as a service
sudo systemctl start samba

Don’t call your VPN with the .ovpn attached to its name 🙂

sudo service openvpn@zzz.xxx.yyy start

This means I have now run out of Pis, and have no idea of another project for one anyway.
So I may have to start looking at git again.

Photo Credit: I LIKE IT SIMPLE Flickr via Compfight cc

Having sorted out my office, and fixed one of my broken NAS, I decided to to look at my website.
Moved it to a new theme, and started enabling it for IndieWeb yesterday.

Wow. Bit of a hill for an old retired guy!
Still, got some mentions working, started working on some syndications stuff, checked I have h-card enabled, and got IndieAuth working.
That got me onto the IndieWeb wiki, ooh, they use Slack, better get on that…

IndieAuth got me to github; yes, kept meaning to learn about that… which got me to GitHub Pages, to Jekyll via Ruby
Diverting via static pages to Hugo

Unfortunately, less than a day later I’m contemplating the old adage one bite at a time

So, any first pointers?
All suggestions gratefully received – I expect the occasional “Ooh, I wouldn’t start from there”!

a blob of Flash

The image above is what the website of Inventory magazine looks like, to me.

Like many others, I generally block Flash using Flashblock. Most Flash is an intrusion, and it slows up my machine and uses resources I could use to keep more tabs open… Yes, I can choose to see what is in Flash. Why does this site not want me to see anything?

If I can’t instantly get something from your site… I’ll likely move on, and any chance of sharing knowledge will have gone.

My attention was drawn to this site via a posting from Paul Downey entitled Polite Comment, about Web Design. He’s started looking at Web Design and is trying to encourage

standards based Web sites which work in any browser and which are truly inspirational and from which we can learn from using view-source

I fully support Paul’s campaign, and encourage others to support this.

As I said in Lessons from Jamie Zawinski

You don’t need stuff to be unreadable to be attractive.

One of Paul Downey‘s erstwhile colleagues, Phil Hawksworth, (@philhawksworth), is a passionate advocate of Unobtrusive Javascript and Progressive Enhancement – and made an explanatory site about this. You can see the site at unobtrusify.com, and read how unobtrusify works.

So, you can make stuff look good and read properly.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]